WELCOME TO IN-PERSON & ONLINE soul sanctuary dance!
Every Sunday from 11:15 a.m. to 1:15 pm Pacific Time.
What you need to know
- Our in-person dance is by advance registration only (no drop-ins), for people who are fully vaccinated against covid, and limited in size. Doors close at 11:45.
- Our in-person and online dancers are equally important and cherished parts of our community.
- Please read the remainder of this page and our community agreements before joining online or in person. Links for joining online or in-person are at the bottom of this page.
- Soul Sanctuary Dance, founded in 2003, is a weekly welcoming and inclusive all-ages community freestyle/ecstatic/shoes optional dance that supports free expression, community, physical and emotional health, and a spirit of generosity. We dance to an irresistible eclectic blend of music.
- We charge no admission fee and we are all-volunteer run, but you are invited to pay it forward at this link to enable us to pay our expenses and keep our chain of gifts alive through our dance: paypal.me/soulsanctuarydance (note:account name says Zachary Pine.) (No donations are accepted at the venue. If you want to send a contribution by US mail, contact us).
- Our in-person home is Ashkenaz Music & Dance Community Center in Berkeley, CA, US.
- The organizers are Herb Heinz, Kristi Coombs, Michelle Blair, and Zach Pine. Reach us here.
Making hybrid dancing great-- some tips
- When you feel ready to connect with others, remember that others are both in-person and online.
- Try coming and going from the close-up vicinity of a camera or screen. When you get closer to a screen, look in and see who is seeing you.
- Half of the dance floor is a "no-video zone," to accommodate in-person dancers who do not want to be part of the Zoom dance.
- When you attend the in-person dance, bring your own props and dance toys: stuffed animals, silks, hats, balls, lights, gloves, yoga balls. Online dancers like to use props to help connect more deeply.
Schedule and format (US Pacific Time Zone)
- 10:45 Zoom meeting opens and arrival music begins streaming via web
- 11:15 Doors open for in-person venue
- 11:15-11:45 Warmup music and arrival time. NOTE: no in-person arrivals after 11:45.
- 11:45-11:50 Brief welcome "circle" for all dancers (online and in-person)
- 11:50-12:55 Dance time
- 12:55-1:15 Closing "circle" for all dancers, cleanup for in-person dancers
How to join: