WELCOME TO soul sanctuary dance!
Every Sunday from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 pm Pacific Time.
IN-Person at ASHKENAZ MUSIC AND DANCE COMMUNITY CENTER, AND ONLINE.
What you need to know
- Our in-person dance is by advance registration only (no drop-ins), limited attendance. Doors close at 11:30 am.
- Please read our Community Agreements, including our Covid-19 protocol.
- Our Covid-19 protocol will change at some point. Dancers must be fully vaccinated (and boosted at least once if eligible) and wear non-cloth masks. Subscribe to our weekly email to stay up to date.
- Please read the rest of this page before joining online or in-person.
- Links for joining in-person (registration) or online (Zoom) are at the bottom of this page.
- Soul Sanctuary Dance, founded in 2003, is a weekly welcoming and inclusive all-ages community freestyle/ecstatic/shoes optional dance that supports free expression, community, physical and emotional health, and a spirit of generosity. We dance to an irresistible eclectic blend of music.
- We charge no admission fee and we are all-volunteer run, but you are invited to pay it forward at this link to enable us to pay our expenses and keep our chain of gifts alive through our dance: paypal.me/soulsanctuarydance (note:account name says Zachary Pine.) We also accept donations at the in-person dance.
- Our in-person and online dancers are equally important and cherished parts of our community. We include an online option because we know that some people can't be at our venue, or would not feel safe at our venue even in light of our Community Agreements and Covid-19 protocol; we also know that some people cannot, or choose not to, agree to our Community Agreements and Covid-19 protocol for in-person dancing.
- Ashkenaz is wheelchair accessible.
- The organizers are Herb Heinz, Kristi Coombs, Michelle Blair, and Zach Pine. Reach us here.
Making hybrid (in-person/online) dancing great
- When you feel ready to connect with others, remember that others are both in-person and online.
- Try coming and going from the close-up vicinity of a screen with online dancers. When you get closer to a screen, look in and see who is seeing you.
- Half of the dance floor is a "no-video zone," to accommodate in-person dancers who do not want to be part of the online dance.
- When you attend the in-person dance, feel free to bring your own props and dance toys: stuffed animals, silks, hats, balls, lights, gloves, yoga balls. Online dancers may like to use props to connect with you.
Schedule and format (US Pacific Time Zone)
- 10:30 Zoom meeting opens for early arrival and tech checks
- 11:00 Doors open for in-person venue
- 11:00-11:30 Warmup music and arrival time. NOTE: no in-person arrivals after 11:30.
- 11:30-11:35 Brief welcome "circle" for all dancers (online and in-person)
- 11:35-12:40 Dance time
- 12:40-1:00 Closing "circle" for all dancers, cleanup for in-person dancers
How to join: